Fawley chapel is in the parish of Brockhampton, in the Wye valley, 3 miles N of Ross-on-Wye. It is situated at the end of a lane, alongside a farm on the N bank of the River Wye, and is a two-celled building with a barrel-vaulted chancel. Construction is of sandstone rubble with a rough ashlar facing to the S wall of the nave. The earliest parts are 12thc, it was widened to the S and lengthened westwards, probably in the 14thc and further work dates from the 16thc and 17thc, when a W bell chamber and double bell-opening was added. The chancel was rebuilt in 1827. Romanesque features recorded here are the triple-arched chancel arch, the blocked N doorway and the font.
Fawley is not mentioned by name in the Domesday Survey, but the chapel was at some stage a chapel of ease to Brockhampton, and it is fair to assume that the it fell within that manor. In 1086 Brockhampton was made up of 5 English hides and 3 Welsh hides, held by the Canons of Hereford Cathedral.
|Height of opening||2.18m|
|Width of opening||1.09m|
|Height of bowl||0.54m|
|Height of bowl + stem||0.81m|
|Height of stem||0.27m|
|External diameter of bowl at rim (across flats)||0.78m|
|Internal diameter of bowl at rim||0.56m|
A. Brooks and N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire. New Haven and London 2012, 234.
Herefordshire Sites and Monuments Record 6830
Historic England Listed Building 154275
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire. Harmondsworth 1963, 131.
RCHME, An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, 2. East, (1932), 34-35.