The current church consists of a chancel, a nave, N and S transepts, a small S porch and a broad W tower. The lower part of the W tower dates from the 12thc but the upper part is Perpendicular. The transepts date from c1300. The arch into the nave from the tower and the chancel arch both date from the 12thc and there is a late 12thc S door.
The Domesday Survey records Latton as held by Regenbald the priest. It was worth £10, with its 2 mills, 200 acres of meadow and a pasture. No church is mentioned.
|Height of opening||2.23m|
|Width of opening||1.12m|
|Width of opening||2.34m|
Anon. St John the Baptist's Church, Latton Private Press
Historic England listing 1284123
F. Arnold-Forster, Studies in Church Dedications or England’s Patron Saints, London 1899, III, 176.
J. Buckler, Unpublished album of drawings. Devizes Museum, vol. VIII, plate 65.
DCMS Listing Description.
N. Pevsner and B. Cherry, Buildings of England: Wiltshire. Harmondsworth 1975, 2nd edition, 293.