The church consists of a rebuilt chancel, a nave, aisles, and a W tower. This church has a complicated history that was documented by RCHME in the Churches of South-East Wiltshire. The lowest part of the tower dates from the 12th century and has pilaster buttresses, but most of the church belongs to the 13th and 15th centuries.
At the time of the Domesday Survey Idmiston belonged to the church of Glastonbury. There was land for 7 ploughs, of which 2.5 hides belonged to Humphrey. No church of Idmiston is mentioned.
|N head height||0.20m|
|N head width||0.22m|
|S head height and width||0.20m|
A male head with a small goatee beard and bulging eyes.
A female (?) head with bulging eyes.
F. Arnold-Forster, Studies in Church Dedications or England’s Patron Saints, London 1899, III, 162.
DCMS Listing Description.
N. Pevsner and B. Cherry, Buildings of England: Wiltshire. Harmondsworth 1975, 2nd edition, 275.
Redundant Churches Fund Guidebook, July 1985.
RCHME Churches of South-East Wiltshire HMSO 1987, 145-7.