The north door dates from the early 13th century and has a chamfered pointed arch. The east capital has trumpet scallops while the west one is a crocket capital. Apart from this and the font of the first half of the 13th century, the church has late 13th century transepts, a 14th century nave and Perpendicular chancel. The church was restored in 1880-3 by William Butterfield.
Land at Dinton, known as Domnitone in the Domesday Survey, was owned by the Church of Shaftesbury. Domesday records that pre-1066 (TRE) it paid geld for 38 hides. At the time of the survey there was land for 15 ploughs. Of this land 7 hides and 3 virgates of land were in demense, and there were 2 ploughs, and 4 slaves. There were 21 villans and 10 bordars with 11 ploughs. There were 2 mills rendering 12s 6d and 20 acres of meadow, and as many acres of woodland and pasture 1 league long and a half a league broad. 2 burgesses paid 10d. Of the same land Gunfrid holds 2 hides, and has there 2 ploughs. He who held them TRE could not be separated from the church. The demense of the abbess was and remained worth £18. Gunfrid's [holding] 40s.
In circa 1160 there is a reference to Ivo the Parson.
DCMS Listing Description
N. Pevsner, Buildings of England: Wiltshire. Penguin 1985.
Victoria County History of Wiltshire Volume VIII, pp25-34, esp. pp31-3.