The church consists of a chancel with vestry on the N, a nave, N aisle, W tower and S porch. The nave has a late 12th-century, four-bay, N arcade with a mixture of trumpet scallops and a moulded capital.
At the time of Edward the Confessor, Hilmarton, then worth 15s, was held by Eskil. The Domesday Survey records it worth 30s and belonging to Enrulf of Hesdin. There was a mill, 6 acres of meadow, 1 acre of pasture and 6 of woodland. No church is mentioned. The church is first mentioned in 1291, when valued for taxation by Pope Nicholas (VCH, IX, 61).
This is a corbel made from what appears to be a fragment with motifs derived from trumpet scallops. It is set above a Perpendicular door and seems to date from the 19th century.
The arch of the fourth bay is supported by a small corbel terminated at the bottom with a dog’s head, reminiscent of the heads in the nave of Malmesbury Abbey. The creature has oval eyes and pointed ears and a strong brow across its head. A beaded spine runs down the centre of its head. The head is 0.25m high, 0.15m wide at the top and 0.08m at the bottom. The corbel is 0.46m high and half octagonal in plan.
F. Arnold-Forster, Studies in Church Dedications or England’s Patron Saints, London 1899, III, 152.
DCMS Listing Description
N. Pevsner and B. Cherry, Buildings of England: Wiltshire. Harmondsworth 1975, 2nd edition, 270-71.
Victoria County History of Wiltshire, Volume IX, 49-65, esp. 61-4.