This small church now consists of a chancel with a vestry, a nave and a S and N transept. The W end of the church is adorned with a polygonal bell turret. From the Norman church remain the arch of the N doorway with early 12th-century detailing, and a fine but eroded Romanesque carved panel reset in a wall by the N door.
The Domesday Survey records Landford being held by Oda, whose father held it at the time of Edward the Confessor. There was a mill, pasture and woodland, and the whole was assesed at 15s. No church mentioned.
|Height of abaci||0.13m|
|Height of capitals||0.27m (incl. 0.03m high necking)|
|Lenght of abaci||0.40m|
|Width of capitals||0.20m|
F. Arnold-Forster, Studies in Church Dedications or England’s Patron Saints, London 1899, III,175.
J. Buckler, Unpublished album of drawings. Devizes Museum, vol. VIII, plate 71.
DCMS Listing Description.
N. Pevsner and B. Cherry, Buildings of England: Wiltshire. Harmondsworth 1975, 2nd edition, 291.
RCHME Churches of South-East Wiltshire, HMSO 1987, 18, 78, 154-5.