X

Alderbury, Wiltshire

Download as PDF

Feature Sets (2)

Description

A rectangular fountain erected to commemorate the coronation of King Edward on 9 August 1902 has a reused double capital from nearby Ivychurch Priory at each of its corners. These, like similar ones at Ivychurch Farm, probably came from the arcade of the cloister.

Features

Loose Sculpture

Capitals

At the four corners of the fountain are reused double capitals. Their designs are based on variations of scalloped capitals.

Dimensions

Capitals height 0.27 m
Capitals length 0.52 m
Capitals width 0.20 m

North-east capital

Decoration treated like zigzag decorated in a line of beading.

North-west capital

Scalloped form treated like folded drapery decorated with beads.

South-east capital

Scalloped form treated like folded drapery decorated with beads.

South-west capital

Scalloped capital with vertical bars between each scallop.

Comments/Opinions

Bibliography

  • N. Pevsner and B. Cherry, Wiltshire, Buildings of England, Harmondsworth, 1971

  • Royal Comission of Historical Monuments England, Churches of South-East Wiltshire, HMSO 1987, pp. 148-153

  • A History of the County of Wiltshire: Volume 3, Victoria County History, page 289ff

General view

Location

Site Location
Alderbury
National Grid Reference
SU 185 273 
Boundaries
now: Wiltshire
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales): Wiltshire
Diocese
medieval: Salisbury
now: Salisbury
Dedication
medieval:
now:
Type of building/monument
Water fountain  
Report authors
Allan Brodie 
Visit Date
5 June 1996