St Andrew, Ogbourne St Andrew, Wiltshire

Download as PDF

Feature Sets (4)


The N and S nave arcades and the north door of the nave demonstrate that the nave dates from the second half of the 12thc. though the clerestory was added in the 15thc. A piscina in the chancel is made from a reused scalloped capital. The chancel has flat buttresses suggesting a Norman origin, though it was altered in the 14thc. The church was restored by William Butterfield in 1847-9. 


Maud of Wallingford confirmed her gift of the church to the Benedictine Abbey of Le Bec-Hellouin in France c. 1148. After the appropriation of the church by the Abbey in 1192–3 the living was served by a chaplain. In 1208 a vicarage was ordained to which the abbot of Bec presented as prebendary of Ogbourne.


Exterior Features


N doorway of nave

The doorway has a round-headed chamfered arch reset onto a later hollow-chamfered opening. It has a hoodmould 0.12 m wide, decorated with chevron and worn label stops. The left one is 0.18 m wide and 0.20 m high, and the right one is 0.16 m wide and 0.21 m high. There is a head at the apex of the arch 0.25 m high and 0.18 m wide.

Height of arch 1.86 m
Width of arch 0.98 m

S doorway of nave

The south door of the nave dates from the early 13thc. with narrow shafts, moulded abaci, a moulded arch and a hoodmould decorated with dogtooth. This door was illustrated by Buckler in the early 19thc.

Interior Features



Nave N arcade

The nave has two bay, north and south nave arcades with chamfered, round headed arches.

E Respond

This is rectangular in plan with 0.12 m diameter corner shafts. The overall width of the respond is 0.69 m. The capital has tall scallops emerging from sheaths and it measures 0.21 m high, including a 0.03 m high neck. The abacus, which has a hollow chamfer, is 0.14 m high.


This circular pier, with a circumference of 2.15 m, has a square abacus decorated with hollow chamfers. The capital is 0.22 m high including a neck 0.03 m high and the abacus is 0.13 m high. Each face of the capital is 0.77 m wide. The south and west faces have three palmettes set within circular surrounds while the east and north faces have scallops.

W Respond

There is no detailing of the 12thc., the arch being supported by a wall of the west tower.

Nave S arcade

There is no detailing of the 12thc., on the W respond, the arch being supported by a wall of the W tower. When Buckler illustrated the arcade in the early 19thc. the west respond retained its semicircular respond with carved Romanesque capital.  

E respond

This respond is rectangular in plan with chamfered corners. The capital is decorated with a band of beads with thick, fleshy leaves beneath projecting outwards. The capital including in the abacus and neck is 0.39 m high.  


This circular pier, with a circumference of 2.20 m, has a capital that is 0.24 m high including a neck 0.04 m high and the abacus is 0.13 m high. Each face of the capital is 0.80 m wide. The south and west faces each have scallops and the north face has three, odd classically-inspired leaf forms. The east face has suffered significant damage but it had various pairs of leaf forms.

Loose Sculpture

Capital reused as chancel piscina

The piscina at the south side of the chancel is a reused scallop capital.


Height of capital 0.18 m


It is possible that the fragment used in the chancel piscina is one of the arcade W responds that were depicted by Buckler but vanished after the 19thc. restoration.


  • J. Buckler, Unpublished album of drawings. Devizes Museum, Vol. 8, pl. 51.

  • N. Pevsner and B. Cherry, Buildings of England: Wiltshire. Harmondsworth 1975, 2nd ed, 365.

  • A History of the County of Wiltshire: Volume 12, Ramsbury and Selkley Hundreds; the Borough of Marlborough, Victoria County History, London, 1983, 138-51 esp. 149-50.

Nave from E.


Site Location
Ogbourne St Andrew
National Grid Reference
SU 188 723 
now: Wiltshire
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales): Wiltshire
formerly: Salisbury
now: Salisbury
now: St Andrew
medieval: St Andrew
Type of building/monument
Parish church  
Report authors
Allan Brodie 
Visit Date
26 July 1997