Hoggeston is a small village in the rolling mixed farmland of the Vale of Aylesbury, in the Domesday hundred of Waddesdon, situated 7 miles N of Aylesbury in the heart of the county. The village forms a tight cluster on a lane to the E of the road from Aylesbury to Buckingham. The church is in the centre of the village, and Hoggeston Manor, an imposing red brick Jacobean house, is to the S.
The church consists of an aisled nave with a bell turret built over the W bay of the N aisle, and a chancel. The nave was originally shorter and aisleless, and dates from the 12thc. In the S nave wall is a blocked round-headed window, now partly removed by the piercing of a 2-bay 13thc arcade. The nave and S aisle were extended westwards by a third bay in the 14thc, and the aisle widened, and around the same time a regular 3-bay aisle was added on the N side with a N porch. Reticulated aisle windows on N and S suggest a date of 1320-30 for this work. There is no clerestory. The chancel was largely rebuilt at around the same time. The tower is of limestone in its lower storey and timber weatherboarding above. Otherwise construction is of roughly-shaped local limestone, which is banded with contrasting courses of orange Northamptonshire stone in the 14thc work. Two sections of frontal sawtooth stringcourse reused in the chancel masonry provide the only Romanesque sculpture here.
Payne held Hoggeston from William fitzAnsculf in 1086, the manor consisting of 8 hides and 2½ virgates of ploughland with meadow for 10 ploughs. Before the Conquest, 7 hides were held by Almaer, a man of Bondi the staller, as a manor, a man of the Abbess of Barking held 1 hide, and a man of Eadgifu the Fair held 2½ virgates.
By the 13thc Payne’s holding had passed to Sir William Brian, who gave it to his brother-in-law, Sir John Marshall, in exchange for other lands. Sir John held it in 1226, but was dead by 1235 when Lady Amice Brian (possibly his sister) was in possession. By 1249 it had passed to William de Burmingham. A charter for a fair to be held at the manor was granted by Henry III to William de Burmingham in 1254, and this was confirmed and a market charter granted by Edward III to another William de Bermyngham in 1334. The manor stayed within the Birmingham family until at least 1528, but in 1552 Robert Dormer of Wing died in possession of it.
The church appertained to the manor from 1226 and presumably earlier too, and the advowson descended with the manor until it was sold to Worcester College, Oxford, in 1798.
The parish is now in the Schorne team benefice, i.e. Dunton, Granborough, Hardwick, Hoggeston, North Marston, Oving with Pitchcott, Waddesdon with Over Winchendon and Fleet Marston, and Whitchurch with Creslow.
N. Pevsner and E. Williamson, The Buildings of England: Buckinghamshire, London 1960, 2nd ed. 1994, 401.
RCHME, An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the County of Buckingham, Volume 2 (north). London 1913, 151-52.
VCH, Victoria County History: Buckinghamshire. III , London 1925, 369-72.