The church is rectangular on plan. It was enlarged in 1677 and again in 1829, but much of the lower masonry courses may be of medieval date. Sections of a Romanesque string course survive on the exterior.
Early documents concerning the church no longer survive. The lands of the parish were primarily held by the Cistercian nunnery at Haddington, which was founded by the Countess Ada in the 1150s. It is not unlikely that the church was annexed to the nunnery about this time, as a 1298 tax roll lists the church amongst the possessions of the Haddington nuns.
R. Fawcett, et. al., The Corpus of Scottish Medieval Parish Churches (http://arts.st-andrews.ac.uk/corpusofscottishchurches/)
C. McWilliam, The Buildings of Scotland: Lothian. Harmondsworth 1978, 207.
RCAHMS, Inventory of Monuments in East Lothian. Edinburgh 1924, 29.