What survives of the 12thc. work is the nave of two bays with a W doorway and a S aisle arcade, and the crossing with N and S transepts. In the 1340s, when the 12thc. church was converted into private apartments for the Countess of Pembroke, a floor was inserted just below the level of the crossing capitals and the crossing arches were blocked. At the same time the S aisle wall was removed and a new wall built further S, to convert the area into a guest range with an upper hall. The 12thc. work recorded here consists of the crossing arches, the W doorway, the S nave arcade, the windows of the nave and N transept, and an arch in the E wall of the N transept, presumably leading to a chancel aisle originally. Its counterpart in the S transept is largely obliterated by the insertion of a window during the farmhouse phase of the site's history, but its presence is attested by the N jamb and the outer relieving arch, both visible on the E face.
Benedictine Priory (cell of Ely) (1159–70), Knights Templar preceptory (1170–1308), since 1997 part of the Farmland Museum
Denny was established as a dependent cell of Ely Abbey in 1159, at the instigation of Duke Conan IV of Britanny. In 1170 the Ely Benedictines transferred the cell to the Knights Templar, originally as a preceptory, but by the early 13c it had become a hospital for old and infirm members of the Order. When the Templars were suppressed in 1308 it passed formally to the Hospitallers, who made no use of it. In 1324 it reverted to the Crown. It was formally granted to Aymer de Valence's widow Mary de Valence, Countess of Pembroke, in 1337. Two years later she received a licence to transfer the house of the Franciscan Order of Minoresses (Poor Clares) at Waterbeach to Denny. The Waterbeach site was liable to flooding, but the transfer was not achieved without some opposition. A new church was built to the E of the 12c crossing. At the Dissolution, the Franciscan church was demolished and the remaining buildings were converted for use as a farmhouse. In the early 20c they were acquired by Pembroke College, who placed the site in the guardianship of the Ministry of Works in 1947.
Carried on coursed half-columns with worn, probably attic, bases. The capitals have square neckings and hollow-chamfered imposts with an angle roll between face and chamfer. The arch has angle rolls to E and W, presumably with a soffit quirk or slim roll between them as in the nave arcade.
S capital: the E face is lost, but the W view shows a plain scallop form with a semicircular bite taken from the shield and a corresponding flute cut out of the W face scallop. The angle scallop is plain.
N capital: the E and W faces show abbreviated trefoil forms, the central part of the shield with a semicircular bite, and corresponding flute on the scallop. At the angles are rolls, and the shields are outlined with a groove.
Carried on coursed half-columns, only those on the W side surviving. Neckings and imposts as first order. The E face capitals and arch have been cut back and are not readable. The W face arch is plain and slightly chamfered.
Half-columns with hollow chamfered bases. The capitals have square neckings and hollow chamfered imposts with an angle roll at the bottom of the face. The arch has quirked angle rolls to E and W, presumably with a quirk between them as in the nave arcade, on each face is a slender half-roll.
N capital: multi-scallop, the shields with a nebuly edge outlined by a groove at the bottom of the shields, but broken at the bottom of each cusp to form sheaths on the bell. At the bottom of each shield is a round pellet, and at the angle an elliptical one with a central keel. The design is most clearly seen from the E.
S capital: multi-scallop with hyphenated scallops and on the bell, below each hyphen, a wedge between a pair of rolls. The design is most clearly seen from the E.
W face, N capital: slipped multi-scallop with zigzag shields and slipped roll scallops.
W face, S capital: multi-fluted. The shields are cushion-shaped but with their lower edge scalloped to form flutes on the bell.
E face N capital: slipped multi-scallop, the angle scallop with a keel on its upper surface.
E face S capital: zigzag multi-scallop with wedges between the scallops.
As E arch except for the capitals, which are only visible from the S.
W capital: plain zigzag multi-scallop.
E capital: double scallop with shields outlined. The angle has no shield but a keel, and the shield alongside it has a step indicating sheathing of the scallop.
S face, E capital: slipped scallop, the shields plain with a nebuly lower edge.
N face, W capital: plain cushion with angle tucks.
N face, E capital: plain cushion with a tapered flute taken out of the centre of the bell on the N face.
As E arch except for the capitals.
E capital: triple scallop with shields outlined by a groove. The two angle scallops have circular shields and a groove running down the scallop. The central shield on the main face is enlarged.
W capital: plain multi-scallop.
N face, W capital: badly damaged, minimal signs of scallops on bell.
As E arch except for the capitals, which are visible only from the E.
S capital: multi-scallop with plain shields.
N capital: plain triple scallop, the central shield on each face larger.
E face, S capital: worn double-scallop with sheathed scallops.
E face, N capital: badly worn. A cushion with traces of scallops on the bell.
W face N capital: plain double scallop.
Carried on coursed half-columns with worn, hollow-chamfered bases on double plinths. The capitals have square neckings and hollow-chamfered imposts with an angle roll between face and chamfer. The arch has angle rolls to E and W with a slim soffit roll between them. All of this is visible in the E bay only.
Bay 1, W capital: triple scallop with shields outlined by a groove, and bites out of the shields, with corresponding flutes on the scallops. At the angles are cusps filled with conical rolls with double chamfered upper faces.
Coursed half-shafts in angled jambs with worn, hollow-chamfered bases on double plinths. The capitals have square neckings and hollow-chamfered imposts with an angle roll between face and chamfer. The arch has an angle roll to the N, facing the nave, and a slight chamfer on the aisle side.
Bay 2, N face: not visible.
T. Baggs, "Denny Abbey", Medieval Art and Architecture at Ely Cathedral, B.A.A. Conference Transactions, II, 1976. Leeds 1979, 97.
P. M. Christi and J. G. Coad, "Excavations at Denny Abbey." Archaeological Journal 137 (1980): 138–279.
The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, II (1948), 259–62, 295–302.
F. S. L. Johnson, A Catalogue of Romanesque Sculpture in Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely. M.Phil (London, Courtauld Institute), 1984.
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England. Bedfordshire and the County of Huntingdon and Peterborough, Harmondsworth, 1968.
S. D. T. Spittle, "Denney Abbey", Archaeological Journal, 124 (1967), 232–34.