This cruciform church of limestone rubble stands high above the west bank of the Cherwell, 8 miles north of Oxford. It now comprises the chancel, built up due to the sloping ground, central tower, N and S transepts, and a clerestoried nave with a S aisle. The N and S walls of the nave may be partly pre-Conquest. Although it was probably originally aisleless, on the N side remain two blocked arches, visible both on the outside and inside walls. These may represent either porticus arches, or arches of a N arcade built c. 1120. Whatever their nature, the extensions were demolished in the early C13th.
A similar situation may have pertained on the S side because the S arcade and aisle were also built or rebuilt at the time of the demolition, when also the chancel was extended eastwards and the nave westwards. The N nave doorway of c. 1120 is thought to have been reset within the NW blocked nave arch also at the same time. The arch of another early Romanesque doorway, decorated with roll mouldings, is now set in the E wall of the churchyard. On the nave interior there are small round-headed arches, one each on N and S walls, just below the clerestorey windows. The W bay of the chancel on the S side still retains a C12th pilaster buttress. A further Romanesque detail is the three beakheads reset on the S face of the second stage of the tower.
There is some archaeological evidence to suggest that the church existed in the Anglo-Saxon era. Before the Conquest, Tackley was held by Hugh or Hugolin, Edward the Confessor’s chamberlain. By 1086 the overlordship had been granted to Hugh d'Avranches, Earl of Chester, who gave the church with its glebe and tithes to the Abbey of St Sever (Vau de Vire, diocese of Coutances), that he had founded. It was confirmed by the pope in 1158, but by 1200 the advowson had reverted to the lords of the manor. The overlordship descended with the earldom until 1232, when it passed to Hugh d'Aubigny, earl of Sussex and Arundel.
|h. of opening||2.11 m|
|w. of opening||0.94 m|
Doorway of one order. Plain chamfered dressed jambstones, probably restored. Impost with a lower quirk on the vertical surface. Arch of chamfered dressed stone. Hood with double narrow convex mouldings with an inner hollow chamfer.
|h. of arch only||0.47 m|
|w. of arch at base||0.94 m|
Beakhead 1. A triangular head with rounded small ears and slanting large eyes surrounded by raised outlines with a groove in between. A long straight nose with narrowing cheeks extends to overlap a roll moulding. No mouth.
Beakhead 2. Ears and eyes as 1, but eyes damaged and pitted. Nose and narrowing cheeks as 1.
Beakhead 3. Ears and eyes as 1. A mask with large almond-shaped eyes, small ears and a long nose with two looped embellishments on each side of it which overlap the roll.
The interior large N nave arches match those on the exterior, also with large rough voussoirs but lacking the imposts.
The voussoirs of small round-headed arches are visible below clerestorey level on N and S nave walls. They probably constitute a pair of window arches.
J. Newson, 'Beakhead Decoration on Romanesque Arches in the Upper Thames Valley', Oxoniensia 78 (2013), pp. 71-86.
J. Sherwood and N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire (Harmondsworth, 1974), 802.
Victoria County History: Oxfordshire, 11 (London, 1983), pp. 194-208.