The church is one of the smallest in west Cornwall, and is in an exposed position close to the tip of the Lizard. The church was mostly constructed in the 14thc. and 15thc, but it originated as small chapel with a chancel and nave.
The only Romanesque features are the font, and possibly the piscina.
Prior to the Norman conquest, the seventeen manors of the Lizard were held by thegns, who paid dues towards the support of a monastery, probably St Michael’s Mount. The thegns were disinherited at the Conquest, depriving the Mount of income, but were restored in 1087 by Earl Mortain. In the 13thc. most of Ruan Minor passed to the manorial estate of Trethevas.
Although there was apparently an ancient chapel in Ruan Minor, the earliest records of the current church are from 1277.
The church was restored in 1854-1855 with re-roofing, re-flooring and re-seating. In 1879 the chancel was extended and raised to a higher roof level than the nave.
|Depth of bowl||220 mm|
|Diameter of bowl at top||540 mm|
|Height of base overall||310 mm|
|Height of pattern||110 mm|
|Height of shaft||320 mm|
|Width of base at bottom||910 mm|
|Height of arch above bowl||420 mm|
|Height of bowl||130 mm|
|Width of bowl||250 mm|
P. Beacham and N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England – Cornwall (London, 2014).
J. Betjeman, Cornwall – A Shell Guide (London, 1964)
C. Henderson, The Cornish Church Guide and Parochial History of Cornwall, (Truro, 1925).
N. Pevsner revised by E Radcliffe, The Buildings of England: Cornwall (New Haven and London, 2002).
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, (London, 1951).
E H Sedding, Norman Architecture in Cornwall, (London, 1909).
St. Ruan with St. Grade: A brief history of the Parishes and Churches, Third edition of Church guide originally prepared by Admiral E. King, revised by G. Bennett, rector, 1998.