X

St Peter, Kingsbury, Warwickshire

Download as PDF

Feature Sets (2)

Description

The original nave and chancel church is of c.1150 and has aisles of 1180, of which two bays survive in each. The church has been extended or adapted over time and now includes an extended chancel, vestry, N chapel, N and S aisles, S porch and W tower.

History

The church of Kingsbury was given by the first Osbert de Arden to the nuns of the priory of Markyate, otherwise known as Holy Trinity "in Bosco", Co. Beds., and confirmed to them by his son Osbert. The rectory of Kingsbury was divided into two halves during the time of Robert and Amabel (daughter of the younger Osbert), who presented to both of them. After the right of presentation had been returned to the nuns, at some time between 1188 and 1198, one half of the church was confirmed by them on Roger de Coleshill who paid them 20s. a year.

Features

Interior Features

Arcades

Nave

N arcade

The pointed arches are of 1300.

E Respond: No base, plain, square pier (replacement). The impost is chamfered, with a small roll, flanked by a groove, separating chamfer and upright.

Pier one: No base, cylindrical column of 10 courses. Above plain necking is a wide, square, multi-scalloped capital. There are eight scallops to each face. The shields are recessed within a band of beading and are carved in relief with clasped volutes. The volutes spring from a clasp with fine double roll, which also encases the springing point of each band of beading.

W Respond: No base, plain, square pier (replacement). The impost is as the E respond but with saw-tooth decoration on its vertical face.

S Arcade.

E Respond: As N arcade, E respond, although here the impost is chamfered with a groove along the upright.

Pier one: No base, cylindrical column of 10 courses. Above plain necking is a wide, square, multi-scalloped capital with eight scallops to each face. The cones on the angle have slight angle-tuck. The impost is as the N arcade, pier one.

W Respond: As E respond.

Comments/Opinions

Bibliography

  • Victoria County History: Warwickshire, 4, 1947, 100-14.

Exxterior from E
Distant view of the village

Location

Site Location
Kingsbury
National Grid Reference
SP 215 963 
Boundaries
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales): Warwickshire
now: Warwickshire
Diocese
medieval: not confirmed
now: Birmingham
Dedication
medieval: St Peter and St Paul
now: St Peter and St Paul
Type of building/monument
Parish church  
Report authors
Harry Bodenham