Thundridge is a village 2 miles N of Ware in the valley of the River Rib in the East Hertfordshire district of the county. The village was originally sited a mile to the E, and here may be seen the remains of the medieval church of St Mary and All Saints, including its graveyard, and a large medieval moated enclosure associated with Thundridgebury House which was alongside the church. The site is a Scheduled Ancient Monument, and the church, of which only the W tower still stands, is listed Grade II*.
In 1853 the church was demolished except for the tower, and the stone used in the restoration of Sacombe church some 3 miles to the NW. A new parish church was built in Thundridge village in the same year. What stands on the site of the Old church today is the 15thc W tower, of flint rubble with stone dressings, locked up and with its tower arch blocked, with a 12thc doorway reset in the blocking of the tower arch.
Thundridge was held by Alnoth, a man of Archbishop Stigand, before the Conquest, and by Hugh de Grandmesnil from Bishop Odo of Bayeux thereafter. When Odo forfeited his holdings after his arrest in 1082, the Grandmesnils continued to hold as tenants-in chief from the king. By the 13thc the tenants under the Grandmesnils were the famnily of Dive of Balderton; William de Dive died before 1251, and John Dive was the lord in 1277 and at his death in 1292-93. The later history of the manor will be found in VCH.
The church was originally a chapel of Ware, and both the mother church and Thundridge chapel were given to the Priory of Ware by Hugh de Grandmesnil
|Height of opening||2.29 m|
|Width of opening||1.14 m|
Historic England Listed Building English Heritage Legacy ID: 356028 (Tower only)
Historic England Scheduled Monument, English Heritage Legacy ID: 11560
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, Harmondsworth 1953, 250.
N. Pevsner and B. Cherry, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, Harmondsworth 1977, 364.
Victoria County History: Hertfordshire vol. 3 (1912), 377-80.