The nave of the church was rebuilt in the first half of the 13thc., reusing one scallop capital in the north arcade, and voussoirs in three of the arches of the south arcade. The south door of the nave, though very heavily rebuilt and restored in the 1863-7 restoration by Butterfield, dates from the twelfth century.
Aldbourne was held by Gytha, Earl Harold's mother, in 1066 and by King William in 1086. It was assessed at 40 hides and was home to a total of 150 named peasants of various classes, suggesting a total population of 600 or more. This large settlement had 4 mills and a church with 2 hides of its own, held by the priest.
It was later granted to a Count of Perche and was held by Count Rotrou of Perche in 1135, passing successively to his son Rotrou (d.1191) and his grandson Geoffrey (d.1202).
|Height of opening||2.25 m|
|Width of opening||1.13 m|
N. Pevsner and B. Cherry, Wiltshire, Buildings of England, Harmondsworth, 1971.
A History of the County of Wiltshire: Volume 12, Victoria County History, 1983, 67-86.