Easington is a tiny hamlet in the parish of Cuxham with Easington, three miles NW of Watlington towards the S of the county. The small, single cell church of St Peter is found at the end of a farm track across open fields, sandwiched between barns and a farmhouse. It consists of continuous nave and chancel with no chancel arch, red tile roof, N porch and W gable bell-cote. It dates to the 14thc but retains a 12thc doorway reused in the N nave wall. Two fragments of curved Romanesque zigzag moulding are re-set side by side over a window in the S nave wall exterior. The tub-shaped font dates also to the 12thc.
In 1086, Robert, son of Ralph, held two estates, Easington and Ewelme, both in the Hundred of Benson. Easington was much the smaller of the two, comprising only seven households with land for two plough teams, one being the lord’s. It was valued at £2 in comparison with Ewelme’s £6. The Domesday Survey does not mention a church but there presumably was one, indicated by the Romanesque material reused in the present building.
|Height of L impost front face||0.17m|
|Height of opening||1.90m|
|Height of R impost front face||0.14m|
|Height of R impost side return||0.15m|
|Width of L impost front face||0.39 m|
|Width of opening||0.95 m|
|Width of R impost front face||0.41m|
|Width of R impost side return||0.22m|
|Height of L zigzag fragment||0.15m|
|Height of R zigzag fragment||0.15m|
|Width of L zigzag fragment||0.30m|
|Width of R zigzag fragment||0.37m|
|Diameter of bowl (external)||0.67m|
|Diameter of bowl (internal)||0.47m|
|Height of bowl||0.43m|
F. Arnold-Forster, Studies in Church Dedications or England's Patron Saints, 3, London 1899, 112.
M. Champion, Medieval Graffiti: The Lost Voices of England's Churches, London 2015, 63-9.
J. Sherwood and N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, Harmondsworth 1974, 591.