Newington lies about 4.5 miles N of Wallingford in South Oxfordshire. The church, together with rectory and manor house form the centre of a group of four hamlets. The church consists of a nave, chancel, north transept, west tower with spire and south porch. The two nave doorways are 12thc, whilst the N transept of about 1200 has a pointed arch with two unchamfered orders. The western corners of the nave have quoins with characteristic Romanesque angle rolls.
The manor was granted in 997 by Queen Elgiva to Christ Church, Canterbury (Anon. 1846, 325). In 1086 the Archbishop of Canterbury held the manor and there were 5 slaves, 22 villeins and 10 bordars, at this date the manor also held four houses in nearby Wallingford. The advowson was held by the Archbishop until the mid 19thc.
|Height of capital||10 cm|
|Height of impost||10 cm|
|Shaft diameter||14 cm|
Cubical bases support detached shafts on attic bases with flat leaf capitals, with quirked and chamfered imposts with a roll on the chamfer flanking them. The semicircular arch above has a hollow, a keeled roll on the edge and a hollow chamfer outside. There is a hollow-chamfered and quirked hoodmould above.
Anon. A Guide to the Architectural Antiquities in the Neighbourhood of Oxford, Oxford 1846, 321-325
Anon, Newington St Giles, Oxfordshire, 1987
A.Williams and G.H. Martin (ed.) Domesday Book. A Complete Translation London 2003, 136, 425
F. Arnold-Forster, Studies in Church Dedications, London 1899, pt 3, 209
Historic England Archives BF061755
Historic England Building Listing 1193229
J. Sherwood and N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, Harmondsworth 1974, 715-716