Fawley is a village on the W bank of Sothampton Water where it runs into the Solent; a position now dominated by the Esso oil refinery immediately W of the church. All Saints has a nave with 4-bay aisles, but the E bay of the S aisle is occupied by the arches of the tower. The chancel has a two-bay N chapel, used for weekday services, and a similar S chapel screened off for use as a vestry. The nave is 12thc in origin, with a chevron-decorated W doorway under a neo-Romanesque porch. The chancel arch, chancel chapel arcades and the W and N arches of the tower are 12thc work too (the E arch to the vestry is narrow and 19thc, and there is no S arch because the outer wall is in that position). The nave arcades are 13thc .
2 hides in Fawley were held by the Bishop of Winchester before the Conquest, but by 1086 only 1 virgate remained (with a chapel), the other 7 virgates having been taken into the New Forest. The church remained with the bishop, and had its own chapels at Exbury and Langley.
|Height of opening||2.38m|
|Width of opening||1.12m|
Plain and continuous.
En-delit nook-shafts in sections on attic bases, carrying plain double scallop capitals with plain roll neckings and quirked hollow-chamfered impost blocks. In the arch is a plain nook roll and outside this a row of chip-carved saltires in rectangles and then two rolls of centrifugal lateral chevron with a cogwheel inner edge. There is finally a label decorated with a row of sexfoils.
Multi-scallop with a single bead in each recessed shield and a row of sawtooth on the abacus. Original work is on the N face and the N half of the W face, and here the cones are unsheathed and there are traces of red paint. Replaced carving on the remainder of the capital has sheathed cones or fillets between the cones.
Multi-scallop with recessed shields. The abacus is decorated with a row of beaded zig-zag. Original work is found on the SE angle only.
Multi-scalloped with slightly dished shields and a mixture of sheathed and plain cones with round fillets between them on both the original and replaced work. The original work is at the E end of the S face and on the E face, and here (but not in the restoration) the abacus is carved with a row of chip-carved saltires in squares.
An unfamiliar design consisting of scallops alternately normal and inverted, and all reeded on both cones and shields. The abacus is decorated with a row of sawtooth. Original work is found on the NE of the capital.
Multi-scallop with dished shields and triangular wedges between the cones. At each angle is a broad flat leaf. The abacus is decorated with a row of chip-carved saltires in squares. The necking is a plain roll and the impost hollow chamfered with a groove on the face.
English Heritage Listed Building 143423
N. Pevsner and D. Lloyd, The Buildings of England. Hampshire and the Isle of Wight. Harmondsworth 1967, 231-33.
Victoria County History: Hampshire. III (1908), 292-96.