The old church was pulled down in 1869, but some 12thc. stones were reused in the new building of 1871: the plain chancel arch, for example, now frames the organ bay. Romanesque sculpture is found in the reset S doorway of the nave and on a fragment in the N wall of the tower.
There was a priest at Pedmore in 1086, when the manor was held by Acard of William Fitz Ansculf. It was held by Giffard de Tiringham under Gervase Peynel (1166-89); he was known as Giffard de Pedmore (VCH 3, 201-3). The overlordship of Pedmore descended with the manor of Northfield, also held by Gervase Peynel.
|h. of tympanum||0.93 m|
|w. of tympanum||1.85 m|
|h. incl. necking||0.23 m|
|h. without necking||0.21 m|
|max. w. of E face||0.23 m|
|max. w. of S face||0.23 m|
Resting directly on plain modern jambs, the tympanum is carved with Christ in Majesty. Christ is seated within a beaded mandorla of irregular shape with two serpent-head terminals beneath his feet. His R hand is raised in benediction, his L rests on a book. The figure is crowned, has a drooping moustache and wears a ?chasuble over a garment with nested V-folds. The mandorla is borne by symbols of the Four Evangelists, the eagle of St John above the bull of St Luke on the L, and the winged man of St Mathew above the lion of St Mark on the R. The tympanum is made of red sandstone and has a break in the L corner. It leans back slightly, but is backed by cement.
Nook shafts on spurred attic bases, plain neckings, triple scallop capitals with angle tucks (see below) and hollow-chamfered impost blocks with a groove on the face and reeding below the chamfer. The R nook shaft has been renewed to match the L, and the R capital is a heavily repaired version of the L one, and incorporates a large piece of new and different stone. Although tidied up, the shields show one central hole which could have accommodated a compass point, although there are no inscribed circles. Both impost blocks are renewals, in a pink stone, quite different from the yellowish stone of the capitals.
L capital: sheathed cones, the sheaths forming a V-shape. On the E face are compass marks of two intersecting circles, the centres of which correspond to the junctions between the shields. Shields eroded on S face, with losses at the angle. In the arch, point-to-point chevron with cogwheel edge. The chevrons are centrifugally carved and outlined by two rows of reeding on the face, one on the soffit. The voussoirs, made of a yellowish sandstone, are irregular in shape; one narrow one renewed. On the label, two rolls separated by a wedge moulding, the latter terminating in pyramidal label stops.