Of the buildings of Caversham Court only the stables and a garden house remain. The site is now a public garden on the N side of the Thames, just S of St Peter's Caversham, and at the top of a flight of steps is a pair of gateposts with a beast's head corbel built into each.
Anciently on this site stood Caversham Rectory, which together with the Church of St.Peter, was part of the endowment made in the year 1162 by Walter Giffard, first Earl of Buckingham to Notley Abbey. Just before 1800, Caversham Court passed into the hands of the Blackall Simonds brewing family of Ryde. It was rebuilt by Pugin in 1840 and demolished in 1933. For the Domesday history of the manor, see Caversham, St Peter.
|max. w.||0.15 m|
|projection from wall||0.75 m|
|max. w.||0.16 m|
|projection from wall||0.70 m|
G. Tyack, S. Bradley and N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England. Berkshire. New Haven and London 2010, 479-80.
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England. Berkshire. Harmondsworth, 1966, 110.