The cross is situated in the SE corner of the churchyard, some 30m from the chancel. It consists of a cast lead Celtic style wheel cross bearing the date 1921, mounted on a tapered stone shaft carved with Romanesque foliage ornament on all four faces. This stands on a cuboid base block with 12thc relief carving on its four sides, a plinth with inscriptions, and a low step. Only the base block and the lower section of the shaft are Romanesque.
The cross was discovered in the cellar of the Falcon Inn, and was noted there in RCHME (1916). In 1921 the owner of the Falcon, Mr Kendall, gave it to the village in exchange for nothing more than a replacement support for his cellar roof. it was removed and remodelled as a First World War memorial: the plinth block being carved with a memorial inscription and the names of the 37 men of the village killed in the war, and a cast lead Celtic style wheel cross bearing the date 1921 being paced on the top. This work was carried out by P. M. Johnson. After World War II four more names were added to the existing panels, including that of the artist Eric Ravilious, who lived in the village from 1934.
|Height of block||0.38m|
|Width of block (SE-NW)||0.63m|
|Width of block (SW-NE)||0.64m|
The best preserved of the faces and in generally good condition except for the repaired loss to the upper edge.
The lower part of the design is well preserved, but there is a deep horizontal groove above the centre line, and the upper part is generally worn.
The lower part of the design is well preserved, but the upper part is generally striated.
In generally fair condition except for the repaired loss to the upper edge.
|Max. height of original shaft (NW corner)||1.84m|
|Min. height of original shaft (SE corner)||1.71m|
|Width at bottom (SE-NW)||0.250m|
|Width at bottom (SW-NE)||0.315m|
|Width at top (SE-NW)||0.225m|
|Width at top (SW-NE)||0.285m|
|Overall height of shaft (Including repair)||2.17m|
A lily carved in relief, clasped at its base with two stems formind a heart-shaped frame. Side stems emerge between the three main lobes of the lily, extend symmetrically to L and R and terminate in furled leaves. This is the best-preserved of the four faces.
A design like the SE face but badly eroded, especially at the top.
As the SE face, but with deep horizontal wear strata at the top.
As the SE face, but with more wear overall and a major loss owing to the inserted block at the top of the face.
Essex Sites and Mounuments Record 25239.
Historic England List number 114531
J. H. Hope, 'The Cross Shaft at Castle Hedingham', Essex Archaeology and History, 11 (1979), 1-5.
RCHME, An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex, Volume 1: North West (1916), 59.