In the Domesday Book Launcells is written Landseu in error for Landsell, probably Lancellys - the church of Cellys - indicating the presence of a Celtic monastery on the site and perhaps the same name as Lansallos. Although secularized in the Conquest, by 1261 it was appropriated to the Abbey of Hartland in Devon, which received the great tithe of the parish at Forrabury. As it did at Launcells, this abbey possibly began to gain influence in the Norman period; and Matilda of Launcell granted all her wood in Launcell manor to Hugo, abbot of Hartland, in King John's reign (1199-1216). In 1382, a dispute between the vicar and the abbey, concerning who should pay to repair or rebuild the old chancel, was settled by the Bishop of Exeter.
|Depth of basin||0.22 m|
|Height of bowl||0.37 m|
|Height of font||0.76 m|
|Height of stem||0.18 m|
|Length of top of basin (E-W)||0.51 m|
|Length top of bowl (E-W)||0.68|
|Width top of basin (N-S)||0.45 m|
|Width top of bowl ( N-S )||0.63|
P. Beacham and N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Cornwall (New Haven and London 2014), pp. 283-84.
C. Henderson, The Cornish Church Guide (London 1925), p. 112.
A Complete Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, vol. III (Truro and London 1870), pp. 60-61.
N. Pevsner and E. Radcliffe, The Buildings of England: Cornwall, 2nd ed (Harmondsworth 1970), p. 95.
E. H. Sedding, Norman Architecture in Cornwall: A Handbook to old Cornish ecclesiastical architecture with notes on ancient manor houses (London and Truro 1909), pp. 210-11.