Mansell Lacy is a village in central Herefordshire, 6 miles NW of Hereford. The church is in the village centre, and consists of a 12thc nave with a S aisle 3½ bays long, with the half-bay at the E end, pierced by what appears to be a reset 12thc doorway. The aisle and arcade are of the late 13thc. The chancel is long, and has a N vestry of 1878, and there is a W tower, unbuttressed and seemingly 13thc in its lower parts, heightened in the 14thc and given a pyramid roof. The church was restored by John Clayton in 1859-60. In its present arrangement, executed by Rod Robinson Associates in 1996, the nave is screened off at pier 2, and the 1st bay of the arcade is screened from the aisle, leaving a liturgical space at the NE, and a community space consisting of the entire aisle and the W part of the nave (although it does contain a liturgical outlier in the font, at the W end of the S aisle). The font is Romanesque, as are the arch in the arcade wall, the S nave doorway (protected by a 15thc porch, a blocked N doorway, and corbels and carved stones reset over the nave arcade arch and the S doorway.
Mansell Lacy was held by Godric in 1066 and by Gruffydd ap Maredudd in 1086. It was assessed at 4 hides. It subsequently passed to Roger de Lacy.
|Height of opening above sill||1.98m|
|Width of visible opening||0.51m|
|Max. height of lintel||0.52m|
|Max. visible width of lintel||0.85m|
|Height of opening||1.88m|
|Width of opening||1.05m|
|Max. height of lintel||0.41m|
|Max. width of lintel||1.42m|
|Thickness of lintel||0.19m|
|Height of bowl and stem||0.57m|
|Height of chamfered base||0.18m|
|Height of drum plinth||0.17m|
|Overall height of font above step||0.92m|
|External diameter of bowl at rim||0.67m|
|Internal diameter of bowl at rim||0.51m|
A. Brooks and N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire. New Haven and London 2012, 502.
Historic England Listed Building 149736
G. Marshall, “Fonts in Herefordshire”, Transactions of the Woolhope Naturalists’ Field Club, II (1950), 44-45.
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire. Harmondsworth 1963, 249.
RCHME, An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, 3 North West, 1934, 145-47.