The church has nave arcades of the early 13th century which still have some trumpet scallop capitals but are clearly early gothic in form. However, like the rest of the church they have been over-restored and rebuilt by Arthur Blomfield in 1865-7.
The church of St Mary of Glastonbury held Grittleton both before and after the Domesday Survey. The church's lands amounted to 30 hides, of which the Bishop of Coutances held 5 hides and Urse 4½ hides in 1086. The abbot's demesne was worth £12, the bishop's land £7, and Urse's land 40s.
Anon. 1835. Wilts Archives D1/61/5/46
Anon. Parish and Church of St Mary the Virgin, Grittleton Private Press
Historic England listed building, list entry no. 1198617. https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1198617
N. Pevsner and B. Cherry, Buildings of England: Wiltshire. Harmondsworth 1975, 2nd edition, 261.