X

St Mary, Hullavington, Wiltshire

Download as PDF

Feature Sets (2)

Description

The north nave arcade dates from the late 12th century and the south arcade from the early 13th century. The north door of the nave is a small round headed door decorated with a roll moulding. The south door, later like the arcade, is a small round headed arch decorated with a chamfer and a small hoodmould. Soon after, probably near the mid 13th century, the north choir aisle was built using details in imitation of Salisbury Cathedral. The west tower is Perpendicular in style but was built by Arthur Blomfield in 1880. 

History

The Domesday Survey records that, in 1086, Hullavington was held by Ralph de Mortimer. Before the Conquest it had belonged to Earl Harold. In the 12th century Hugh Mortimer granted Hullavington manor to the abbey of St Victor (VCH 14, 104-118).

Features

Interior Features

Arcades

Nave

N arcade

The arcades are two plain, round-headed arches. It was three bays long but in the 19th century a small, fourth eastern arch was created, turning the eastern respond into a pier

1.   Pier   This pier has a square abacus and a capital with five trumpet scallops on each side. Between the scallops are fleurs-de-lys . The western part of the capital seems to date from the late 12th century but the eastern side dates from the restoration, probably when the small arch to the east was created, transforming this former respond into a pier.

2.   Pier   This pier has a square abacus and its capital has four trumpet scallops on each side, with volutes at the corners.

3.   Pier   Beneath its square abacus this pier has a capital with three large trumpet scallops on each side and with two small trumpet scallops forming each corner.

Western Respond   This respond has a half column. The abacus is decorated with a hollow chamfer and the capital has scallops with ridges between. 

Dimensions
Pier abaci: height 0.12m
Pier capitals: height of neck 0.03m
Pier capitals: overall height 0.25m
Pier capitals: width of each face 0.62m
Piers:circumference 1.44-1.48m
Piers: height from floor to top of abacus 1.91-1.96m
W respond abacus height 0.12m
W respond capital: height of neck 0.03m
W respond capital: overall height 0.25m
W respond capital: width of E face 0.63m
W respond capital: width of side faces 0.35m
W respond: semi-circumference 0.75m

S arcade

The south arcade is three bays long and dates from the early 13th century. It has round piers, pointed double-chamfered arches and octagonal abaci and capitals. The capitals are decorated with a mixture of very late trumpet scallops and stiff leaf foliage.

Dimensions
Pier abaci: height 0.10m
Pier capitals: height of neck 0.03m
Pier capitals: overall height: 0.31m
Pier capitals: width of each face 0.28-0.30m
Piers: circumference 1.62m

Interior Decoration

Miscellaneous

Trumpet scalloped corbel

At the east end of the south aisle there is a small corbel decorated with trumpet scallops.

Dimensions
Abacus:height 0.10m
Abacus: width 0.38m
Carved section: height 0.23m
Carved section: width 0.26m

Comments/Opinions

Bibliography

  • Historic England Listed Building, list no. 1356040. https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1356040

  • N. Pevsner and B. Cherry, Buildings of England: Wiltshire. Harmondsworth 1975, 2nd edition, 274-275.

  • Victoria County History: Wiltshire, vol. 14, 104-118.  http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/wilts/vol14/pp104-118

Exterior from SE
E wall of chancel N aisle
Chancel N aisle wall from NW
N nave doorway
S nave doorway
Chancel N aisle wall
Chancel N aisle wall
Nave to E

Location

Site Location
Hullavington
National Grid Reference
ST 894 821 
Boundaries
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales): Wiltshire
now: Wiltshire
Diocese
now: Bristol
medieval: Old Sarum
Dedication
medieval: St Mary (pre-Reformation)
now: St Mary
Type of building/monument
Parish church  
Report authors
Allan Brodie 
Visit Date
04 June 2004