St Andrew's has a low, five-bay nave with 13thc. aisles of slightly different designs, and no clerestorey but big, Perpendicular aisle windows. The 13thc. chancel is aisleless and has a 19thc. E window in a Perpendicular style. There is a late-13thc. W tower without a spire. Construction is of pebble rubble on an ashlar plinth course except for the chancel where a good deal of coarse, dark brown conglomerate is used. The E wall of the chancel is rendered. The only Romanesque feature is the font.
The Abbot of Crowland held seven-and-a-half hides in Oakington in 1086. Roger held 1½ hides from Countess Judith, and the wife of Boselin de Dives held 1½ hides, which were given to her by the Bishop of Bayeux, 'but the men of the hundred do not know on what grounds'. Aelfgat the Priest held 15 acres from the Abbot of Ely. Something under 4 hides were held by three knights of Picot of Cambridge, and in 1092 Picot granted ? of the tithes of this and other manors for the foundation of Barnwell Priory. By the 1190s Oakington was one of three Cambridgeshire parishes whose rector was presented by Crowland Abbey, Lincs.
|ext. h. of bowl||0.46 m|
|ext. w. (E-W)||0.705 m|
|ext. w. (N-S)||0.705 m|
|int. diam. of bowl||0.535 m|