The church comprises a 12thc. nave, extended westward in the 13thc., and a 13thc. chancel and S aisle; the 13thc. W tower is formed in the angle of the nave and S aisle. There is extensive use of grey lias rubble work, also some shell bearing limestone and red sandstone. The N and S doorways are Romanesque, as is the chancel and sculpture in the nave E wall.
There is no mention of Halford in the Domesday Survey, but it seems that Kenilworth Priory has some rights - in 1247 the Bishop of Worcester obtained the right of advowson, with the consent of Kenilworth, in return for a pension. The church continued with Worcester until 1919 when it was transferred to the new diocese of Coventry.
|approx. h. of shaft||1.25 m|
|h. of capital with necking||0.20 m|
|h. of capital without necking||0.18 m|
|h. of impost||0.18 m|
|w. of aperture||1.24 m|
|w. of capital||0.18|
Cushion capital, partly eroded. On the N face shield a sunken semi-circle with outward radial lines to the shield periphery and, centrally below, a narrow upward cone. Two lines of pellets in the angle with an inverted mask below. The W face shield also has a sunken semi-circle with outward radial lines to the shield periphery and, centrally below, a narrow upward cone. Two lines of pellets in the angle with and inverted mask below. The W face shield also has a sunken semi-circle with beads around the periphery, the rest being plain.
|capital excl. necking||0.16 m|
|capital incl. necking||0.18 m|
|h. of bases||0.19 m|
|h. of impost||0.14 m|
|h. of shafts||1.27 m|
|w. of impost at face||0.52 m|
|diam. of shaft||0.165 m|
|h. of base||0.19 m|
|h. of capital excl. necking||0.15 m|
|h. of capital inc. necking||0.17 m|
|h. of impost||0.17 m|
|h. of shaft||1.4 m|
|w. of aperture||2.26 m|
|w. of base||0.23 m|
|w. of soffit||0.65 m|