A parish church consisting of a chancel, clerestoried nave, N aisle, S transept and W tower. The windows in the S transept are late 14thc. whilst the W tower is 15thc. The church and tower were much restored in 1893 and the chancel rebuilt in 1897 by Ninian Comper under the patronage of the 7th Duke of Newcastle. The Romanesque features are a plain S doorway, the N arcade and the font.
Egmanton, but not the church, is mentioned in the Domesday Survey as being in the lands of Roger de Bully. King John (when still Earl Mortain) gave the living to the Archbishop of Rouen in about 1192. By 1244 it was in the hands of the d'Eyeville family and the S transept was their chantry. Between 1269 and 1272 it was given to Newstead Priory. After the Dissolution the patronage passed through various hands until sold by Pendock Barry to the Duke of Newcastle in 1821.
The church was the shrine of Our Lady of Egmanton until suppressed in the 16thc.
|Ext. diameter of rim||0.71 m|
|h. inc. base||0.74 m|
|h. of bowl||0.60 m|
|Thickness at rim||0.09 m|