X

St Mary, Doddenham, Worcestershire

Download as PDF

Feature Sets (2)

Description

Doddenham old church was dedicated to St Andrew, but the present 19thc. building is dedicated to St Mary. It is a simple stone building with nave, chancel and bell-cote.

History

At the date of the Domesday Survey Doddenham manor was held by Gilbert Fitz Turold, and had previously been held by Celmar. It passed to the Earls of Gloucester and was included among the knights fees belonging to the earldom as late as 1296. The advowsons of the chapels of Knightwick and Doddenham were given by Simon de Mans about 1177 to the Prior and convent of Worcester, where they remained until the Dissolution. Knightwick (qv) and Doddenham are separated by the River Teme and both parish churches were pulled down in the 19thc. A modern bridge now joins the villages and this church was built in 1856 on the N side to serve both. To the S of the river the old church site was used to build a mortuary chapel in 1879.

Features

Furnishings

Fonts

This is a simple, almost straight-sided tub-shape on a plain, round base and plinth.

Dimensions
circ. of bowl 3.24 m
h. of bowl 0.45 m
int. diam. of bowl 0.50 m
int. d. of bowl 0.24 m
w. of bowl 0.74 m

Comments/Opinions

It is difficult to be certain that the font is 12thc., but the destroyed Knightwick church was certainly Romanesque as evidenced by drawings and photographs held locally.

The font seems to have been brought from the destroyed Knightwick church which was a short distance away.

The font is not recorded in Pevsner.

Bibliography

  • The Victoria History of the Counties of England. Worcestershire, vol. IV. London 1924, 260-62.
  • N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England. Worcestershire. Harmondsworth 1968, 131.

Location

Site Location
Doddenham
National Grid Reference
SO 734 561 
Boundaries
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales): Worcestershire
now: Worcestershire
Diocese
medieval: Worcester
now: Worcester
Dedication
medieval: not confirmed
now: St Mary
Type of building/monument
Parish church  
Report authors
G. L. Pearson