Tedstone Delamere is in the NE of the county, 3.5 miles NE of Bromyard and less than a mile from the Worcestershire border. It is a small settlement in the hilly pasture land on the edge of the Malvern Hills, with Tedstone Court and the church on its SE edge. The church consists of a chancel with a N vestry, and a long nave with a S porch and a timber W bell turret with spire. Much of this work was by G. G. Scott in 1856-57, who restored the entire church, rebuilt the chancel adding the N vestry, and added the S porch and the bell turret. The nave is Norman or perhaps earlier to judge from the long and short quoins at the W angles. There are round-headed lancets at the W end of the nave lateral walls. Construction is of sandstone rubble and the Norman window dressings are of tufa. The main font belongs to Scott's restoration, but there is a 12th - 13thc font alongside it, and this is the only feature described here.
Tedstone Delamere is not noted by name in the Domesday Survey, but is presumed to have been held by the Delameres under the Earls of Gloucester, similar to Hanley William (Worcs) which was held by Robert Delamenre of the Earl in 1166 and by Thomas Delamere in 1210-12. Like Hanley too, Tedstone passed from the Del;ameres to the Pleseys family towards the end of the 13thc.
|Height of bowl||0.39 m|
|Height of drum base with roll rim||0.17 m|
|Height of stem||0.15|
|Height of stone lower drum||0.14 m|
|Height of tufa drum||0.15 m|
|Overall height of font||1.03 m|
|External diameter of bowl||0.64 m|
|Internal diameter of bowl||0.48 m|
A. Brooks and N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire. New Haven and London 2012, 621-22.
Historic England Listed Building, EH Legacy number 410714
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire. Harmondsworth 1963, 299.
RCHME, An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, 2: East, 1932, 186-87.
VCH, Worcestershire, 4, 1924, 275-76 (on Hanley William).