Peterstow is a village in the S of the county, in pasture land 3 miles E of Ross-on-Wye, straddling the A49 road to Hereford. The church is on the N side of the road, at the end of a road that skirts grazing land and adjoins the later manor house. It consists of a chancel with a N vestry, and a nave with a S porch. The nave clasps a very slender W tower with an octagonal spire behind a parapet. The origins are pre-Conquest to judge from the large stones at the W end of the N nave wall (RCHME (1931)). A 12thc lancet indicates Norman fabric, and there are 13thc lancets too, but the windows are mostly 14thc, the towe ris 15thc and later, and the church was restored ib 1865-66 by G. G. Scott, who added the toimber porch and the vestry. Construction is of irregular local sandstone blocks. Inside, the nave was reordered in 2009. It was cleared of all fixed furnishings except the 17thc pulpit in the NE corner, and the 15thc font, which has been resited in the NW corner. The floor now has modern pollished floorboards and modern skirting boards, and furniture consists of classic blue wooden chapel chairs and formica topped tables. Leaning against a wall of the chancel is a font bowl, probably Romanesque, which is the only feature recorded here.
Peterstow is not mentioned by name in the Domesday Survey. Between 1287 and the Reformation the advowson was held by members of the family of de Grey, Lords of Wilton on Wye.
|External diameter of bowl at rim||0.71 m|
|Interior diameter of bowl at rim||0.51 m|
|Max. height of bowl||0.34 m|
A. Brooks and N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire. New Haven and London 2012, 553-54.
Historic England Listed Building, English Heritage Legacy ID 399706
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire. Harmondsworth 1963, 271.
RCHME, An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, 1: South-west, 1931, 217-18