Evesbatch is a village in the E of the county, 4 miles SE of Bromyard and 12 miles NE of Hereford. The village is surrounded by farmland and orchards, and stands at the N end of the Leadon valley. The church is in the centre of the village and consists of a chancel with a N vestry and a nave of coursed red sandstone rubble, a S porch and a timber W bell turret with a pyramid roof. Most of the fabric dates to a restoration of 1877 by Thomas Nicholson of Hereford, but earlier features survive including the Romanesque font (the only feature recorded here), some of the masonry of the S doorway, possibly one N nave window in a 14thc style, the nave roof, which may be late-medieval, and some of the benches.
Evesbatch was held by Odo from Roger de Lacy in 1086, and by Almaeligir, Aeligilfric and Thorkil as 3 manors from Earl Harold in 1066. It was assessed at 1 hide.
|Height of bowl||0.35 m|
|Height of bowl and shaft||0.71 m|
|Height of font||0.95 m|
|External diameter of bowl at rim||0.65 m|
|Internal diameter of bowl at rim||0.45 m|
A. Brooks and N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire. New Haven and London 2012, 228.
J. Duncumb, Collections towards the history and antiquities of Hereford. V. Hundred of Grimsworth. By the Rev. E. G. Wright, 1897
Herefordshire Sites and Monuments Record 6875
Historic England Listed Building, English Heritage Legacy ID: 151199
G. Marshall, “Fonts in Herefordshire”, Transactions of the Woolhope Naturalists’ Field Club, II (1950), 36.
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire. Harmondsworth 1963, 128.
RCHME, An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, 2: East, 1932, 78-79.