Diddlebury is a village in the Corve valley, overlooked by Wenlock Edge in southern Shropshire, 16 miles S of Shrewsbury. The church stands in the centre of the village, alongside Delbury Hall. Church originally single-aisled. S aisle added in 13thc. S wall and S porch 19thc. N wall of nave Anglo-Saxon, constructed of herringbone masonry. Blocked-up Anglo-Saxon doorway on N wall. Chancel 12thc. Remains of two blocked, round-headed 12thc. windows at E end, replaced by 13thc. three-light window, renewed in 19thc. One Norman window on N side of chancel, and one on S near 13thc. Priest's Doorway. Lower section of W tower probably Anglo-Saxon. Otherwise 12thc. and later. On W front, small late 12thc. pointed arch set into large semicircular arch that may be either Anglo-Saxon or early 12thc. Some Anglo-Saxon sculpture is set in the inner nave walls of the church. One slab of loose Anglo-Saxon sculpture. The church was restored in the 1880s.
Diddlebury was given by Roger Mortimer, holder of the county of Shropshire, to the Abbey of Shrewsbury by 1086. In 1255 the collegiate church of St Mary, Bridgnorth, was claiming an annual rent from the parish.
Human figure, possibly female
Damaged. Human or animal figure, possibly a large bird. Head missing. Two worn protrusions at lower end of corbel may represent legs or wings.
Head of muzzled bear; the muzzle decorated with studs.
Ram's head with elaborate spiral horns.
Head of an animal with an elongated, open muzzle, possibly a dog.
S. P. J. Harvey, A Short Guide to St. Peter's, Diddlebury, n.d.
J. Newman and N. Pevsner, Buildings of England: Shropshire, New Haven and London, 2006, 245-6.
N. Pevsner, Buildings of England: Shropshire, Harmondsworth 1958, 120.
VCH, Victoria County History: Shropshire, II, London 1973, 3, 31.