This church, which was virtually rebuilt by George Gilbert Scott in 1859, comprises a nave, a N aisle with a three-bay arcade, and a small, square-ended chancel. While the chancel arch itself is neo-Norman, the W wall of the churchyard incorporates original 12thc. stonework.
Albourne is not mentioned in the Domesday Survey (1086). It was probably during the 'restoration' by G G Scott in 1859 that elements of a 12thc. sculptural ensemble were dismantled and installed in the churchyard wall. Some of that sculpture may have come from the chancel arch, but according to Harrison the fragments came from 'an old arch of nave'.
|h. of voussoirs||0.20 m|
|h. of voussoirs carved with face chevron||0.20 m|
|h. of voussoirs carved with sawtooth||0.14 m|