The church has a 19thc. chancel; a 12thc. nave with aisles, extensively restored in 19thc., and a W tower. The N nave aisle has a two-storey porch with a timber-framed gable at the W end, protecting a 12thc doorway, and at the E end of the N nave aisle is a 13thc doorway with a pointed arch and dogtooth ornament, and a 12thc head corbel reset above it. The nave arcades are of four bays with single-stepped arches. The westernmost arch in the S arcade is round and plain. Other arches are pointed, with some sculptural decoration. There is a clerestory with round-headed windows in S wall of nave, but no N clerestory. Round-headed window in W wall of nave. Fortified W tower c.1200 with a W doorway of the same date. The building was restored in 1877 by G. E. Street.
Clun was held by Picot from Earl Roger in 1086, and by Eadric before the Conquest. It was assessed at 15 hides, 2 of which were held from Picot by Walter. The manor also had a mill. c.1190 Isabella of Say, baroness of Clun Castle, gave St George's, together with St Swithun's, Clunbury, to Much Wenlock Priory (see Clunbury).
|R capital, h.||0.12 m|
|R capital, max. w., E face||0.11 m|
|R capital, max. w., N face||0.12 m|
Jambs with angle shafts carrying foliate capitals, and chamfered imposts continuous with first order.
As 1st order.
Multi-scallop with a human headin the NW corner, cut in very high relief. This head has an open, crescent-shaped mouth pointing downwards, a flat nose and bulging eyes. A ropelike moustache emanates from the sides of his nose and extends across chin and neck. Short hair, carved in grooves, stylised curls. The N face of this capital is 12thc., the S face a 19thc. restoration.
Above this capital, at lower end of spandrel of the arch, are the remains of a carved, small, crouching dog, its body pointing downwards. The dog's head has been destroyed. Its haunches are damaged, the R foreleg missing. The paws are clearly visible on L. The tail is stretched from underneath the body up the L flank.
Anon, Brief Notes on St. George's Church, Clun, n.d.
English Heritage, EH Listed Building 257178
L. Garner, Churches of Shropshire, Shropshire Books, 1994, 54-6.
N. Pevsner, Buildings of England: Shropshire, Harmondsworth 1958, 107-8.