Nave and chancel church, roofless. Nave 8.28 m x 9.4 m with antae and steeply pitched gables. The nave was originally barrel-vaulted, with a step pitched stone roof over. The barrel vault of the nave was not keyed into the gable walls, which are smoothly finished above the remaining curve of the vault. Some purlin holes in the gables suggest the use of timber supports for the vault. The lower courses of a corbelled stone roof remain. The original narrow barrel vaulted altar recess was replaced by the present chancel probably c.1200. The chancel measures 5.72 x 5.1 m. externally, and also retains evidence of the springing of a corbelled vault. Evidence of the original chancel can be seen in the remains of small splayed windows to N and S and a section of barrel vaulting immediately E of the chancel arch. The nave has a decorated W doorway and chancel arch and internal wall arcades, as well as carved heads on the antae and decorated finials. There is a decorated E window in the chancel.
Little is known of the history of this site. It was reputedly founded in the 7thc. by Maolcethair, whose death is recorded in the martyrology of Donegal in 636 (Cuppage 1986, 308), but also holds strong associations with St Brendan. The site is rich in pre-Romanesque remains including a corbelled building, perhaps a cell, some 50 m from the church; an ogham stone; the sundial stone; a plain stone cross; and some bullaun stones. The use of the site in the later Middle Ages is indicated by a medieval two-storey dwelling located to the NE of the church. The church is included in the 1302-7 Papal Taxation List for the Diocese of Ardfert.
|h. of opening||1.90 m|
|w. of opening||0.90 m|
Beast head on tympanum in high relief.
Cushion capitals and plain, chamfered impost blocks.
Jambs, capitals and bases similar to second order.
The label is chamfered with bosses along the chamfer. It has a human head at the keystone and beast head label stops. The S label stop is badly worn. Made of a combination of red sandstone and green limestone.
Plain tympanum in grey conglomerate (granite?).
Plain square jambs
The arch has a single roll of lateral centrifugal chevron flanked by a narrow wedge on W and E faces of arch. There are three rows of hyphenated chevron on the soffit, forming lozenges containing rosettes on alternate voussoirs, and with wedges (spurs?) projecting from the hyphens forming cogwheel edge.
Rounded bases with shallow horizontal mouldings and spurs. 3/4 rolls at angles resting on a plinth (h. c. 0.50 m. ). Double scallop capitals.