Habberley is a village centred on a minor crossroads in the Shropshire Hills, 8 miles SW of Shrewsbury. Nave and chancel in one
with bellcote at west end and lean-to vestry (former north chancel chapel) at north-east corner. Largely 19thc, but 12thc S and N doorways and a 12thc font (recut in the 18thc).
Habberley is not mentioned by name in the Domesday Survey, and is assumed to have been recorded under Worthen, a very large manor assessed at 14½ hides, with 13 Berewicks. In 1086 Worthern was held by Roger fitzCorbet from Roger Montgomery, Earl of Shrewsbury, and his sub-tenants included Picot, Reinfrid, Geoffrey and Grento. In 1240 the manor of Habberley ws held by Thomas Corbet of Caus. The church was formerly a chapelry of Worthern, but became an independent parish church in the 12thc.
|Height of opening||1.84 m|
|Width of opening||0.70 m|
|Height of opening||2.05 m|
|Width of opening||1.13 m|
Plain jambs with chamfered edges. Grooves, especially on R. Weathered. Moulded arch voussoirs.
Anon, St Mary's Church, Habberley, n.d.
D. H. S. Cranage, An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire...: illustrated from photographs by M. J. Harding; with ground plans of the most important churches drawn by W. A. Webb, 2 vols, Wellington: Hobson & Co., 1901-12, pt 6, 528-9.
EH, English Heritage Listed Building 259488.
J. Newman and N. Pevsner, Buildings of England: Shropshire, New Haven and London, 2006, 277-8.
N. Pevsner, Buildings of England: Shropshire, Harmondsworth 1958, 135.
VCH, Victoria County History: Shropshire, VIII, London 1968, 243-44.