All Saints, Hanley William, Worcestershire

Download as PDF

Feature Sets (3)


Of sandstone rubble with tufa dressings: 12thc. nave, extended westwards in 13thc., 12thc. chancel with E wall of 1866, timber bell-turret with shingled spire and a modern S porch. Plain chancel arch with plain chamfered imposts; plain font. Romanesque sculpture is found on a reset panel above the S nave doorway.


There were two manors of Hanley in Doddingtree Hundred at DS: one was held by Roger, the other by Hugh, both under Gilbert Fitz Turold. It is not clear which one corresponded to Hanley William.


Exterior Features

Exterior Decoration


Reset sandstone panel

Above the 13thc. S nave doorway is a reset sandstone panel, roughly rectangular in shape; the L edge and upper R corner are concealed by plaster, but the former may be irregular and the latter broken. The panel is carved in low relief with an Agnus Dei facing R on a recessed rectangular ground; the cross-head resembles a Maltese cross.



Plain, of sandstone, on modern stem; no base or plinth. Cylindrical bowl but with very slightly curved sides and short conical lower section. Holes at the rim for iron fixings.

cfr. of bowl 2.6 m
diam. at rim 0.82 m
d. of bowl 0.27 m
h. of bowl 0.57 m
int. diam. 0.60 m


The date of the font is uncertain, but it is probably 12thc. The church may have been builtc.1130-40. There is a panel bearing a similar Agnus Dei, but within a roundel, at Stockton-on Teme. There is also an Angus Dei panel at Eastham. (Neither the font nor the panel is recorded in Pevsner.)


  • The Victoria History of the Counties of England. Worcestershire, vol.IV. London 1924, 275-278.
  • N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England. Worcestershire. Harmondsworth 1968, 189.
General view, from S
Chancel arch, general view, from W


Site Location
Hanley William
National Grid Reference
SO 673 660 
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales): Worcestershire
now: Worcestershire
medieval: Worcester
now: Worcester
now: All Saints
medieval: not confirmed
Type of building/monument
Parish church  
Report authors
G. L. Pearson