The present nave and crossing fall just outside the scope of this Corpus. The only 12thc. sculpture is on the reset doorway to the 19thc. baptistery, towards the W end of the N nave aisle.
Before the Conquest, Faringdon was held by Harold. In DS it was a demesne of the Crown, one hide, with the church, being in the possession of the Bishops of Salisbury. Subsequently it became a prebend endowed with the hide. This status was retained until the Dissolution.
|h. of opening||1.90 m (to present sill)|
|h. of opening||1.97 m (to ground)|
|w. of opening||1.18 m|
Victoria History of the Counties of England: Berkshire. London. Vol. 4 (1924), 489-99.
C.E. Keyser, 'The Norman Architecture of Berkshire, repr. from Transactions of the Newbury District Field Club, vol. 5 (1911), 20 and pl.XVII.
C.E. Keyser, 'The Norman Doorways in the County of Berkshire', Berks, Bucks and Oxon Archaeological Journal, vol. 6 (1900), 12.
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England. Berkshire. Harmondsworth 1966, 139-40.