The entrance to the well is reached by steps from the road. The brick arch over the steps has reused Romanesque keystone with chevron. A human head corbel is set into the E wall of the well house, above the corbel table.
The well was blessed and dedicated to St Aidan by St Moling. The wellhouse was built in 1847, re-using some carved stones from Clone church and Ferns Cathedral.
|approx. h.||0.17 m|
Historic Ferns, local guide leaflet.
G.V. Du Noyer, 'Notes on some peculiarities in ancient and medieval Irish ecclesiastical architecture', Journal of the Kilkenny and South East Ireland Historical and Archaeological Society, 1864, 27-40.
M. Moore, Archaeological Inventory of County Wexford, Dublin , 1996, 156, no.1443.
Proceedings, Excursions in County Wexford, Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland, 25, 1895, 403-11
T. O'Keeffe, 'Diarmait Mac Murchada and Romanesque Leinster: four twelfth-century churches in context', Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland, 127, 1997, 64.