Askham Richard is a village 6.5 miles SW of York. The church of St Mary is a single-cell building of rubble masonry, restored in 1878-9, at which time a chancel arch, vestry and porch were added and the W wall brought into alignment (Borthwick Institute, Faculty papers). Surviving C12th features are the S doorway to the nave and the plain S doorway to the chancel. The exterior vestry doorway is thought to incorporate material from the original porch. Romanesque sculpture is found on the S doorway to the nave and on a loose block inside the church.
Askham Richard (Ascam) was held by Osbern d'Arques in 1086, and was given (as Escham) to Nun Monkton priory at its foundation by William and Ivetta d'Arches, 1134-53.
|h. of opening||2.54 m|
|w. of opening||1.20 m|
As 2nd order, both bases weathered away.
Chamfered label with label stops in the form of humanoid masks, the R mask is severely damaged, with only one eye remaining. The L mask has wide set bulging eyes and the lower part of the head twists to the R, very weathered.
Above the apex of the arch a corbel carved with a male head is set. This has a wide forehead, tapering toward the protruding chin or beard, the lower part of the face is damaged. The head has round staring eyes and the L ear is set behind the smooth hairline, the R ear is missing.
J. Bilson, 'Proceedings of the Society in 1913'. Yorkshire Archaeological Journal, 23 (1915), 108.
Borthwick Institute Faculty Papers, 1878/8, plans 1878/8c, 1878/8d.
E. Coatsworth, 'Western Yorkshire', Corpus of Anglo-Saxon Stone Sculpture VIII (Oxford, 2008).
W. G. Collingwood, 'Anglian and Anglo-Danish Sculpture in the West Riding', Yorkshire Archaeological Journal, 23 (1915), 135.
W. H. Dixon, 'Notes on some Ainsty Churches', Proceedings of the Yorkshire Architectural and York Archaeological Society (1933), pp. 1-28.
P. Leach and N. Pevsner, Yorkshire West Riding: Leeds, Bradford and the North (Yale, 2009).
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England. Yorkshire: The West Riding (Harmondsworth, 1959). 2nd. edn. rev. E. Radcliffe (1967).
Victoria County History of Yorkshire (London, 1912), Vol. II.