X

St Mary, Hawksworth, Nottinghamshire

Download as PDF

Feature Sets (2)

Description

The church consists of a chancel, nave with N aisle and red brick W tower. The nave was rebuilt in 1812-13, the N aisle in 1837 and the chancel in 1851 when the rest was modernised. The brick W tower is 17thc. On the S side of the tower is a re-set tympanum, the only Romanesque feature.

History

Hawksworth is mentioned in the Domesday Survey as being in the lands of Walter D'Aincourt.

Features

Exterior Features

Exterior Decoration

Miscellaneous

Reset tympanum, tower, S wall

The arch of the tympanum is carved with a row of alternating rosettes and wheels in roundels, within which is a row of chip-carved zigzag. The centre of the composition is dominated by a cross with splayed ends with a raised band just before the splay. At the top of the cross, which intrudes into the band of zigzag, is an angel (R) and an Agnus Dei (L), both within roundels. To R and L of the shaft of the cross are two frontal, standing figures. On the L side of the cross and below it is an inscription:

GAVTERVS ET VXOR EIVS CECELINA FECERVNT FACERE EC[LE]SIAM ISTAM IN ONORE D(OMI)NI N(OST)RI E[T] S(AN) C(T)E MARIÆ VIRGINIS E[T] OMNIVM S(AN)C(T) ORVM DEI SIMVL

Translation: 'Walter and his wife Cecelina caused this church to be made in honour of our Lord and of Saint Mary the Virgin and all of God's saints likewise'

The remaining space, to the R and below the cross is filled with rosettes in roundels.

The tympanum is set within an arch of reset voussoirs each with chip-carved stars. Voussoirs two, three and six have two stars. Below the springers, on each side are weathered corbels carved with heads.

Comments/Opinions

The inscription on the tympanum may have been recut, at which point the 'ECCLESIAM' may have been changed to its current reading, although that portion of the inscription is very decayed. The two diminutive figures have been variously described as either the two thieves on their crosses (Cox) or an angel to the W (L) and a saint, possibly St John, to the E (R) (Oswald). The tympanum has been dated to the early 12thc. (Pevsner) and Oswald discusses the identity of the 'Walter' referred to in the inscription, possibly one of the D'Aincourts. The tympanum is set some 15ft (4.6 m) from the ground so is difficult to measure, but it appears to be approximately 1.5 m wide.

Bibliography

  • J.C. Cox, County Churches: Nottinghamshire, London, 1912, 104-105.
  • F. Oswald, 'The Tympana of Nottinghamshire Churches', Transactions of the Thoroton Society, Vol. 52, (1948), 87-93.
  • N. Pevsner and E. Williamson, The Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire, 2nd ed., London, 1979; reprinted (with corrections)1997, 139-140.
  • W.P.W. Phillimore, 'Hawksworth Church', Transactions of the Thoroton Society, Vol. 1 (1897), 17-19.
General view of church from SE.

Location

Site Location
Hawksworth
National Grid Reference
SK 752 435 
Boundaries
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales): Nottinghamshire
now: Nottinghamshire
Diocese
medieval: York
now: Southwell and Nottingham
Dedication
medieval: St Mary and All Saints
now: St Mary and All Saints
Type of building/monument
Parish church  
Report authors
Simon Kirsop