A monastery for nuns was built by St Abban for St Gobnata. St Gobnata and the ruined church were still being venerated in the 18thc. The nunnery may have been founded in the 6th or 7thc. and is unlikely to have existed after c.1172 (Gwynn and Hadcock, 1970, 313).
A. Gwynn and R.N. Hadcock,, Medieval Religious Houses, Ireland, Dublin, 1970, 313.
F. Henry, ‘The Decorated Stones at Ballyvourney’, JCHAS, 112, no.185, 1952.
M. Killanin and M. Duignan, The Shell Guide to Ireland, London, 1962, 3rd ed. 1989, 365.
D. O hEaluighthe, ‘St Gobnat of Ballyvourney’, JCHAS, 57, 1952, 43-61.
M.J. O’Kelly, ‘St. Gobnat’s House, Ballyvourney, Co. Cork’, JCHAS, 57, 1952, 18-40.
D. Power et al , Archaeological Inventory of Co. Cork, Vol. III, Dublin, 1997, 378.