St Pega's has a clerestoreyed nave with N and S aisles and W bell-cote, and a chancel with N chapel and vestry which together extend the N aisle to the E wall as the chancel. The nave is tall and narrow, with long-and-short quoins at the SW angle which suggest an 11thc. date. The N arcade dates from the 12thc., and the S arcade from the 13thc. The N chapel arch and the chancel arch are later 12thc, the latter perhaps in its lower parts only. The exterior is faced with ashlar blocks; regular in the S aisle, irregular elsewhere. Romanesque features are the nave doorways, the S elaborate and protected by a 14thc. porch, the N plain and unprotected; the N nave arcade, chancel arch and N chapel arch; the W bell-cote, and a loose capital now in the N aisle.
A confirmation of the grant of lands to Peterborough (Medeshamstede) by Wulfhere, king of Mercia, in 664 includes Peakirk, but this is generally thought to be a post-Conquest forgery. Like most of the Peterborough villages it does not appear in the Domesday Survey.
Benefice of Peakirk with Glinton and Northborough.
|h of opening||2.02 m|
|w of opening||1.015 m|
|diameter of tympanum||1.32 m|
|h of opening (ignoring later sill)||2.26 m|
|h of tympanum||0.66 m|
|thickness of tympanum||0.185 m|
|w of opening||1.07 m|
|max. d of block||0.40 m|
|w (main face)||0.36 m|
Victoria County History: Northamptonshire. II (1906).
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England. Bedfordshire and the County of Huntingdon and Peterborough, Harmondsworth 1968, 303-04.