Peasmarsh church is essentially Norman, but was greatly enlarged in the 13thc. It has a W tower, an aisled nave with three-bay arcades, and a large square-ended Early English chancel. The main Norman feature is the chancel arch.
Neither the manor nor the church is mentioned in 1086. The church is mentioned in the confirmatory charter of Count Henry of Eu, recording what his grandfather Count Robert of Eu (d.c.1090) gave soon after the Conquest to a prebend of the collegiate church of St. Mary-in-Castro, Hastings. The stag relief was uncovered during the restoration project of 1926.
|h. N jamb panel||0.32 m|
|h. S jamb panel||0.29 m|
Victoria County History: Sussex. IX (Rape and Honour of Hastings). 1937, 158-59.
D. Kahn, `Recently discovered eleventh-century reliefs from Canterbury', Gesta, 28, 1, 1989, 53-60.
G. M. Livett, 'Three Sussex Churches. Battle, Peasmarsh, Icklesham a study of their architectural history', Sussex Archaeological Collections, 47, 35-46.
M. Baylé, `Les chapiteaux de la chapelle Sainte-Paix Caen', Bulletin Monumental, 132, 1974, 261-72.