Amberley church comprises a W tower, a nave with a 13thc. S aisle, and a square-ended chancel.
The Bishops of Chichester had a residence here, probably before the Conquest. In 1086 no church is mentioned at Amberley, but William the Cleric held 2 hides of the manor, and Alred the Priest 3 hides. See also entry for Amberley Castle.
According to a contemporary account the font was: 'removed in 1864 (and) found to be in more than a dozen pieces'. It was reported that 'stone slabs have been introduced under the bowl and at base, and four cylindrical shafts of Purbeck or Forest marble substituted for wooden pillars' (Clarkson, 231).
|h. of opening||2.74 m|
|w. of opening||1.07 m|
The N and S capitals are both carved with thick, pointed leaves on the angles, and smaller leaves with rounded tips on each face. Above the leaves are small motifs, all apparently abstract with the exception of a stylised head on the E side of the S capital. The soffit and W face of the order are carved with lateral centrifugal chevron. On the soffit, the chevron comprises four flat bands and three hollows. On the face are two flat bands and two hollows. The chevron is arranged point-to-point, with nailhead on the edge.
The capitals both have thick smooth leaves curling over at the tip to form large volutes. The arch is plain.
The capitals are carved with thick smooth leaves with volutes. This order carries a minor and major archivolt. The minor archivolt has a square profile and is carved on its face with directional chevron, again with flat bands alternating with hollows, directed to the apex. The major archivolt is carved with lateral centrifugal chevron on both face and soffit, arranged point-to-point with nailhead on the edge. The soffit chevron comprises two bands and one hollow, the face chevron two bands and two hollows.
|diam. of basin||0.57 m|
|w. of sides||0.73 - 0.74 m|