
The Corpus of ROMANESQUE SCULPTURE in Britain & Ireland

St Swithin (medieval)
Parish church
Wellow is a small village in the Newark and Sherwood district of central Nottinghamshire, 11 miles NW of Newark. The church is in the village centre, and consists of a chancel, with S vestry, nave with S aisle and N porch and a tower in the W bay of the S aisle. It is constructed of coursed stone with ashlar dressings and was restored and the chancel replaced by Ewan Christian in 1878-79. Further restoration was carried out in 1968-69. The Romanesque features are the tower arch and a disused font.
Parish church
Clunbury is a small village in the SW of the county, on the edge of the Black Mountains., just 5 miles from the Welsh border. The village consists of a few houses and the church clustered around a crossroads at the foot of Clunbury Hill. The church is single-aisled, with a 12th. nave containing a 12thc. S doorway with carved capitals. There are remains of a second doorway further E: L jamb survives. There are two round-headed narrow windows on N and S sides of nave. A plain W doorway links nave and tower, with a plain, round-headed window above. The tower base is late 12thc., the upper levels later. The chancel has a round-headed 12thc. window on N side, now largely 19thc. A 12thc. font is situated at W end of nave L of the S doorway.
Parish church
The scattered village of Martyr Worthy is located in the Itchen valley, NE of Winchester and W of Alresford. The church comprises an unaisled nave with a W bell turret, a N vestry, and an apsidal chancel. The N and S doorways are decorated with Romanesque sculpture.
Parish church
The church of St Swithun at Nately Scures, a small village to the E of Basingstoke, is a single-cell church comprising an aisleless nave with an apsidal termination. The main feature is the N doorway. One of the capitals, depicting a mermaid, was removed and reset in the SW corner of the nave in 1968. Two original 12thc. windows survive in the apse and one in the W wall, but their internal plaster decoration – probably of 12thc. date – was lost when the church was restored by Salvin in 1864-66. A fragment of an arcaded corbel table appears to have been destroyed at the same time. The neo-Norman bellcote and arcaded font date from 1864-66, as do the three Norman-style windows on the S side of the church.
Parish church
Merton is 3 miles S of Bicester in E Oxfordshire. Although there is documentary evidence that a church existed here before 1118, the present one is mainly of 14thc. build or later. Originally an impressive 14thc. church with some Perpendicular additions, its N aisle was demolished in the 15thc. or 16thc., leaving the piers and arches embedded in the N nave wall. Its spire was taken down in the 18thc. The only visible evidence of its origins now is a font that appears to be late 12thc. (Sherwood and Pevsner, 1974).