
The Corpus of ROMANESQUE SCULPTURE in Britain & Ireland

Norfolk (pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales))
Parish church
Great Moulton is a vilage in Norfolk, located about 10 miles SSW of Norwich. The church of St Michael was rebuilt in 1887 but the Romanesque tower arch and imposts survive, as does the coursed flint masonry of the chancel and nave, bearing traces of round-headed windows. The fragment of a decorated colonnette is the only Romanesque sculpture observed at the site. It may have come from a window, as with the similar example in situ at St Mary Magdalene, just outside the centre of Cambridge.
Parish church
Fincham is a village in the King's Lynn and West Norfolk district, ten miles S of King's Lynn. The church stands in the village centre, and is an imposing mid-15thc building of flint and carstone with ashlar dressings, consisting of a 5-bay aisled nave with a S porch, a chancel and a 3-stage W tower. The only Romanesque feature is an early-12thc font, brought to St Martin's from the former church of St Michael, Fincham, a 12th and 13thc church demolished in the mid-18thc.
Parish church
St Mary's was built 1n 1866-8, following the design of the medieval building it replaced. It retains an elaborate Easter Sepulchre of c.1500 installed by the Townshend family of local and national significance. The spiral shafts described here constitute the only Romanesque sculpture at the site.
Parish church
Almost nothing earlier than its 13thc W tower is visible at St Edmund's, a striking building constructed of a combination of dark local carstone and even darker ferrugious conglomerate. In its present state, it dates from the 13th-15thc with much 19thc restoration in places. It has a chancel, an aisled nave and a N transept but there are also signs of a former S transept, indicating that the previous building on the site was cruciform. The small colonnette reset in a puropse-built recess in the external N wall of the N transept presumably came from an earlier church and is now the only Romanesque sculpture at St Edmund's.
Parish church
The W tower at St Andrew's was underway in 1431. Judging from the round-arched doorway preserved inside its E wall, the tower was attached to a nave that was Norman, at the latest, to which a N aisle had been added in the 13thc
Church
Ingoldisthorpe is located about 9 mi NE of King's Lynn, just S of Snettisham. The church of St Michael consists of a west tower, aisled nave with clerestorey, south porch and chancel. It is built of flint with stone dressings and is largely a work of the 14thc in a transitional Decorated–Perpendicular style. The tower is constructed of knapped flint with stone dressings and angle buttresses, and has a battlemented parapet. The nave is flanked by north and south aisles lit by straight-headed Perpendicular windows, while the clerestorey has alternating circular and quatrefoil openings. The chancel windows combine flowing Decorated tracery with Perpendicular elements; the east window was inserted during the 1858 restoration.
The principal Romanesque feature is the font. Although altered, the bowl is Romanesque and was in all probability was originally square in form. This is the only survival of the 12thc visible in the present building.
Parish church
Ormesby St Margaret is a large village, lying 7 mi NW of Great Yarmouth and 20 mi NE of Norwich. The village is between the Broads and the coast, and not far inland from Caister-on-Sea. The parish church is situated at the seaward end of the village above the Yarmouth road. The church of St Margaret has a nave and chancel of 14thc origin, much-restored in the 19thc, with west tower of c.1500 and later north aisle and vestry. It is made of flint and chert rubble with limestone dressings. The only Romanesque feature is a reset Norman doorway in the 15thc south porch.
Parish church
St Margaret's church is situated in the Norfolk village of Breckles, which lies about 20 mi W of Norwich. The village is bypassed by the main Thetford to Watton road, standing on higher ground on a quiet parallel lane. The church sits a few hundred metres south of Breckles Hall, a historic Elizabethan house.
The parish church is built of flint with ashlar dressings and tiled roofs. It comprises a circular west tower of Saxon or early Norman origin, a later medieval nave, and a chancel largely of the 14thc, all restored in 1856. The tower retains a low semicircular tower arch with decorated imposts carved with cable, interlace, and serpent motifs above a substantial roll moulding, which Pevsner says is pre-Norman. Externally, the tower rises to an octagonal Perpendicular belfry stage with flushwork decoration and trefoiled bell-openings, added in the late 15th or early 16thc. The nave is principally 15thc, lit by large panel-traceried windows and entered through a south porch. The chancel preserves 14thc work, including a three-light east window of stem-and-leaf tracery type and trefoiled side windows, together with a piscina.
The principal Romanesque feature is the font, probably dating from c.1120. The bowl is richly carved on all faces, and the corner shafts also carry carved ornament recalling pre-Conquest decorative traditions. There is also an abandoned font outside.
Parish church
Burnham Deepdale is located on the A149 coast road, situated between Hunstanton and Blakeney on the NE Norfolk coast. Like many Norfolk churches, the church of St Mary has a round tower at its W end, together with a nave, chancel and S porch. The N arcade (three bays, with octagonal piers and double-hollow chamfered arches) are from the 14thc. The stand-out Romanesque feature is the font; the N nave doorway is also Romanesque.
Parish church
St Mary's was rebuilt in 1876, three years after the collapse of the tower, reusing old materials but also retaining some medieval fabric, including the S doorway and S transept. The only Romanesque carving at the church is on the pillar piscina in the chancel although this, too, is at least partly modern.