Tortington was not mentioned in the Domesday Survey, and is thought to have been built c.1140 to serve the small lay community of tenants of Tortington Priory, an Augustinian house, which was situated close by. It had certainly passed into the hands of Tortington priory by 1380.
Despite its neat appearance, the S doorway must have been moved on at least three occasions. The aisle into which it opens was originally of 13thc. date, but was later removed, and the S wall moved back to its original line. The aisle was reinstated by G. C. Coote during a restoration of 1867. The chancel arch was rebuilt in 1750. The vestry was built in 1892, and further repairs were carried out in 1904 by Philip Johnson. The church was declared redundant in 1978 and came into the care of the Redundant Churches Fund, now the Churches Conservation Trust. The fragment of sculpture on the NW corner of the tower was incorporated during one of the restorations. W. F. Leeves, whose name is inscribed on the chancel arch, bought the priory estate in 1706.
Nairn and Pevsner and Peat and Halstead both give St Thomas as the current dedication.